Thursday, July 5, 2012

It's official... I'm in Rockland!

Well, it's been an epic journey... to say the least. But 12 days after my departure from Seattle, I arrived in Rockland, Maine! I'm here! Currently sitting in a coffee shop, looking out over the harbor. It's full of sailboats and ferries coming to and from the islands. It's truly magic.

As the bus moved along Route 1, from Portland up to Rockland, the towns became more and more picturesque. I cried as we drove through Wiscasset- it is easily one of the most magical places I've seen to date. Finally, after two hours on the bus, I arrived in Rockland! Final destination, done and done.

I'm rather exhausted at the moment and have a ton of stuff to do before nightfall... but here's the quick gist of it all.

I've been staying in the woods. Night one, in a cabin w/o electricity and running water. It's magic. Night two, I stayed in a quintessential Maine beach cottage. Night three (tonight), I sleep in my tent, alone in the woods.  I have no internet (except when I pop into a coffee shop in town) and my phone service doesn't exist up here. So email, this blog and my google voice number are my only forms of communication... and those are few and far between, as I am literally living in the woods! 

This is Rockland Harbor in Penobscot Bay
Jacob's cabin in the woods. 

I've been wearing this since I left Seattle. Maine has reassured me that it's the only thing I need.

The first place I went when I arrived. Met the locals. More about that in another entry.

The outside of the cabin.

Jacob's garden, he so graciously allowed me to work in! 

More of the garden. So much is growing. Everything from his hands. It's amazing to eat meals you watch come directly out of the ground, planted and tended to by the person you're sharing the meal with... magical.

I'm glad to be away from the city. I'm glad to be surrounding myself with people who allow life to move at a slower pace. Who live to find happiness for themselves and those they care about. It's a different lifestyle here and I'm welcoming it with open arms. One day at a time. But now it's time to get some things done about town. Much love! More updates to come!

No comments: