Monday, July 30, 2012

My heart will rise and fall with the tide.

But more wonderful than the lore of old man and the lore of books, is the lore of the ocean.
- H.P. Lovecraft


Have you ever sat at the beach and watched the tide rise, then sit long enough to watch it fall and even rise again? I've been doing that a lot lately. I love low tide. Yes, even the smell. I think it's an incredible wonder to see the water crash high at the top of the beach, pushing rocks and drift wood higher and higher, only to begin to recede once more- leaving the beach bare and vast.


Sunsets on the beach I've got a particular affinity for. Perhaps sunrises would speak to me as well, but the only time I want to watch a sunrise is when I haven't slept the night before. The sunset holds the day you've lived and slowly, though sometimes suddenly, everything is black, your day; gone. Nothing but the night sky and hopes for tomorrow.


I love looking up at the stars and the moon, while listening to waves crash on the beach. It makes me feel insignificant in the most awesome kind of way.


Though the sun sets every night, each time I watch one, I am amazed at the colors; how quickly they change and how brilliant they can be.

If beaches could tell tales, they wouldn't dare, for the tales of the beach are ones no words could ever convey. 



These nights. Oh, these nights won't last forever, but I will hold the memories in my pocket until I wear a hole in it. I will stuff my pockets full of these memories until they are bursting at the seams. 

When I'm old and grey, these are the moments I will recall and hold onto. They will forever linger in the back of my mind.

No comments: