Wednesday, August 22, 2012

You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't

Can't you see the sunshine? Can't you just feel the moonshine? 

It's 2:30AM and I should be going to bed. Alas, I'm going to write. It's funny when the urge to blog arises. But here it is. Work tonight was... decent. I'm thankful for a job, especially one that I can get to in 46 seconds from my house on my scooter. That's pretty good. Pretty decent. The attitudes of the people there I could do without. I could also do without the entitled folks who are the greatest part of our clientele. But alas, it's good money and easy enough work. So thankful I stay.

Since being here, I've been able to start fresh in most aspects of my life. That's a pretty incredible feeling. I think everyone wants a clean slate, but doesn't know it. Being able to enter into friendships, relationships, jobs and the like without anyone having preconceived notions about me has been quite freeing. It's also been great to try new things. My life has been full of all things new. It's been so much fun getting to try and experience new things.

I've tried foods I've never eaten before. Scapes, fiddleheads and haddock to name a few. I LOVE scapes. Such a delicious treat. Fiddleheads I'm not convinced about, but I'll give them a few more tries. Haddock is quite tasty. I had a haddock/crabcake sandwich the other day and it was delicious. A haddock fillet, with a crabcake on top, so good! I've also been cooking. Ha. If you've known me in my adulthood, you know I don't cook. It's not that I can't, it's that I have chosen not to. I haven't enjoyed it and I have always loved the convenience of calling a restaurant and getting food delivered to my door or walking down the street to a restaurant and having a stranger prepare my meal. However, recently I've taken a liking to creating meals.

Last night I made haddock tacos and guacamole for our weekly get together- White Trash Monday- It was fun to take a couple of recipes and combine and tweak them for the tacos. They turned out quite delicious. I even made one lobster taco. That was also tasty. Next week it's a southern theme for WTM, so I'm going to try my hand at gluten free fried chicken and okra. I may even attempt collard greens!
 I've also tried a lot of new drinks. Blueberry soda, blueberry beer, blueberry coffee, dandelion and burdock soda, as well as a few different ciders. I've liked all of them. It's always a wonder to me that we have so many endless options for food and drink consumption.


Another favorite thing of mine this summer has been the new/old music I've been listening too. My friend Shamus has been inundating me with such great tunes. John Prine, Hayes Carll and Ray Wylie Hubbard have become essentials in my daily listenings. It's different listening to these fellows in a rural setting, as opposed to in the city. At least for me it is. Prine's "Spanish Pipedream" is a song I listen to everyday. The first time I went to Rockland's farmers market, the band played it and ever since I've been in love with it. Hayes Carll may be new to the scene, but he's clearly got an old soul.

"I got a woman she's wild as Rome
She likes to lay naked and be gazed upon
She crosses a bridge and then sets it on fire
Lands like a bird on a telephone wire"

Carll brings to life Hubbard's classic "Drunken Poet's Dream" with his own spin on it and does absolute justice to the song. Not something that usually happens. There is just something about sitting at the beach, smoking cigarettes under the incredible night sky while this kind of music plays. It's feeding my soul in ways I'll never know again.

No comments: